The Biology Library
Address: Bd. Copou no 20, Building B of "Al. I. Cuza" University, 1st floor
Contact: Elena Stan - head librarian
The access in this library is based on the CUL Entrance Card valid in the headquarters and in all the branch libraries.
The total fund (2019): 60.618 bibliographic units (books and periodicals)
Number of entries in the database (2019): 20.433 entries
Subscriptions to Romanian newspapers and magazines:
- Proceedings of the Romanian Academy. Ser. B. Chemistry, Life Sciences and Geosciences
- Revue Roumaine de biochimie
- Revue roumaine de biologie. Serie de biologie animale
- Revue roumaine de biologie. Serie de biologie vegetale
The stock of the library contains:
- Collections of general and specialized monographies, reference works
- Collections of specialized periodicals. The library has collections of very old periodicals (in grew today) and among the old Romanian periodicals we can mention: Revista ştiinţifică Dianu 1870-1882
- Collections in the field by some important biologists and researchers, Romanian books (the works of the first Romanian naturalists): Cihak Jacob: Istoria naturală întâia oară în limba românească, Iasi, Institutul Albinei, 1937, with 20 litographed stamps. The work is the first manual of natural historz in Romanian language; Brânza Dimitrie: Cursu elementariu de istoria naturala pentru uzulu liceeloru botanice, Iasi, Tipografia Gheorghiu, 1973, Brânza Dimitrie: Prodromul florei române, Bucureşti, 1879-1883; Grecescu Dimitrrie: Conspectul florei României, Bucureşti, 1898.
The stock of the library also contains:
- The latest informative sources with un-published works, the so called pre-prints containing articles and reports with results of the most recent researches;
- Specialized indexes and abstracts;
- Valuable manuscripts and donations of some great biologists that entered and sustained the library over the time (Al. Alex. Popovici: Botanica sistematica, Cryptogamia, 1901-1902, Curs de Botanică (Farmacie – Agronomie) and the donations come from C. Zolzneak, N. Topală.
The library offers to its readers the following catalogues:
- The online catalogue – the bibliographic descriptions of the publications in the Physics and Chemistry Libraries are included in the CUL online catalogue
- The national online catalogue - RoLiNeST (Romanian Library Network Science & Technology) including the databases of the most important Romanian university libraries.
- The consultation of the collection's documents in the reading room (70 seats);
- The home lending;
- The free access to the online databases on the library's subscription - ProQuest, SpringerLink, Ebsco, etc.;
- Specialized bibliographic information in the following fields: vegetal biology, animal biology, bio-mathematics, anthropology, general biology, ecology, bio-geography, genetics and evolutionism, cell biology, molecular biology, bio-chemistry, bio-physics, virology, microbiology (for research, for graduation and PhD theses and courses);